Re: Anyone get KSayIt working?

On Friday 15 April 2005 17:34, Silvan wrote:
> On Friday 15 April 2005 04:43 am, Ian Eure wrote:
> > FWIW, the whole KDE tts system worked for me out-of-the-box. I
> > hadn't played with KSayIt, but I just tried it and it works (though
> > I'm mystified as to what it's supposed to be used for). The
> > configuration isn't obvious at all, but I figured it out.
> >
> > What I did was:
>
> I did all that too, but I haven't heard a peep out of it yet.  I just
> tried turning off JACK, and still no joy.  It's "doing something,"
> but I can't hear the results due to audio configuration
> uncertainties.  Oh well, this whole thing probably isn't worth
> further trouble.  I agree with your position above, in that I am also
> mystified as to what this is supposed to be used for.

For one thing, it could be useful for those who have trouble reading. At
least I know of some Danish schools (my girlfriend teaches in
elementary shcool) where kids who have trouble reading can scan a book
and have the TTS read it for them. :)

> I have
> new-toy-itis here, but no pressing need.  I'll go find something more
> amusing to do.  Maybe by the time I get bored enough to look at this
> again someone will have figured out how to get all of this to play
> nice with JACK.

Not that it helps you in any way, but it worked for me here on KDE 3.4.0
without much hassle (forgot what I did to make it work, but it was
nothing special).

Best regards,
--
Frederik Dannemare | http://sentinel.dk | http://linuxworlddomination.dk