German Umlaute in KDE 3.3.2

I Have problems typing german Umlaute in KDE apps.

The problem occurs since i changed to UTF-8 a few days ago.

the Problem (in kde):
i can type german umlaute in NOT kde-apps like: xterm, firefox, gedit, ....
i get only rubbish if i try to type umlaute in kde-apps like: konsole, kedit,
kmail, ....

i am using kde 3.3.2 on a debian sid system.
my locales are set to the following:

~$ locale
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8@euro
LC_CTYPE="de_DE.UTF-8@euro"
LC_NUMERIC="de_DE.UTF-8@euro"
LC_TIME="de_DE.UTF-8@euro"
LC_COLLATE="de_DE.UTF-8@euro"
LC_MONETARY="de_DE.UTF-8@euro"
LC_MESSAGES="de_DE.UTF-8@euro"
LC_PAPER="de_DE.UTF-8@euro"
LC_NAME="de_DE.UTF-8@euro"
LC_ADDRESS="de_DE.UTF-8@euro"
LC_TELEPHONE="de_DE.UTF-8@euro"
LC_MEASUREMENT="de_DE.UTF-8@euro"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_DE.UTF-8@euro"
LC_ALL=

(i am getting that in konsole (as i do in xterm), so kde seems to know these
settings)

-i tried to change the keyboard layout in kcontrollcenter, no luck. (it is set
to "de" right now)
-i tried with a fresh user, still no luck

but i have no problems if i start the qt-apps under gnome. e.g:
kdm->gnome->kedit: no problem, everything works

i tried to google on this problem and didn't found an answer, so if someone
has the same problem, or better, a solution, please let me know

thanks, Joerg