3.3.1 - Root crashes system

Have Sarge installed and all up to date including the 3.3.1 upgrades.
All seemed to be working perfectly until I logged into KDE as root.
Actaully, when I log OFF as root.  Logging in and running in KDE
as root is fine...everything works a-ok.  But when root logs off, the system
crashes hard.  No strange entries in any of the log files.  System
reboot forces fsck run with tons of errors and many files to lost&found,
but system recovers ok.  There are 5 'regular' users and root on this
machine.  All regular users are fine. No crashes, lockups, etc., only
the root user.  I renamed the .kde directory for root and let KDE go
through the initial user setup, but the same problem is there.
At root's logoff, the exit sound plays, the screen goes to black with the
arrow cursor in the center of the screen, and it locks hard.... at least
my assumption is it's locked... hadn't come up for air for 40 minutes with
no reponse to mouse or keyboard.  Where else to look for a problem?