Konqueror freezing

I am using KDE 3.2.3 on Debian Testing (not quite up to date) with Kernel
2.4.20-xfs i686. The PC is an IBM with Pentium II 400 MHz. I'm really pleased
with it, but: every now and again Konqueror freezes its activity for up to 10
seconds. This especially happens when filling in web forms. Top shows nothing
special except sometimes several instances of kdeinit hogging the CPU.

I find lots of questions to relating to konqueror freezing in Google, but no
answers which seem to apply to my problem.

A similar thing occurs when using Star Office 7: edits sometimes take up to 5
seconds to happen. Maybe not related.

These things are releatively new since I last updated KDE things. I am
hesitant to update more as every time I do this new problems appear and my
setup otherwise works quite well. Does anybody here know this problem and
perhaps have an easy solution?

Theo Schmidt