Re: KPhone question (sound device?)

On Wednesday 24 November 2004 10:55, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 November 2004 14:53, Derek Broughton wrote:
> >
> > You (or perhaps someone else) said this before, and I don't understand
> > it. On my system, "lsmod | grep oss" shows no OSS modules (I do use
> > ALSA) but I definitely have a /dev/dsp module (and if the alsa modules
> > aren't installed, KDE will complain at startup about not having
> > /dev/dsp).  What device would you _expect_ alsa to be using?
> > Alternatively, if Tim doesn't want to use deprecated OSS modules, what
> > device should alsa provide?
>
> Must have been someone else ;-)
>
> You are confused on some points.

That's no surprise, that's why I asked :-)

> - There's a big difference between the 'old' OSS _driver_ modules and
>   alsa's OSS _emulation_ modules.
> - There's a difference between a /dev/dsp device file being present
>   and that device actually being available. To be available, a driver for
>   the device has to be either compiled into the kernel or loaded as a
>   module.
>
> snd_pcm_oss and snd_mixer_oss are _alsa_ modules that will allow programs
> to use the /dev/dsp device.

OK, I tried again removing the alsa modules and /dev/dsp and kde no longer is
telling me I don't have a /dev/dsp, so I obviously was wrong there.  OSS is
still deprecated, though.  Surely there's a more "correct" way to use the
sound device than to go through /dev/dsp?
--
derek