Howto change UI language NOT using control panel?

Hello.
I would like to use gdm's ability to choose a language to change KDE's user interface language (not keyboard, just hat the user sees, like application names, comments, menu entries, ...)

I have installed kde-i18n-pt so that I would have portuguese translations.. but the only way I'm being able to see the portuguese interface is by choosing it directly using the control panel..

Suposelly, setting the LANG variable would do the trick, but I'm doing that inside a konsole and running konqueror from there... no matter how I setup LANG, the UI never changes... OH, I also tryed logginf off, setting the LANG variable in console mode and startx'ing with it already set, but nothing again...

Am I doing something wrong, did this feature vanished in KDE3 or is it a bug somewhere?

Thanks
Joao Clemente