Re: Bug# 266478 - any development?

On Wednesday 10 November 2004 17:59, Ricardo Galli wrote:
> Wrong workaround. You cannot solve a problem by using the wrong setting in
> other modules, which in turn are automatic in most "modern" cases:

I don't have modern hardware ;-)

It's a "wrong" workaround - accepted. The problem is, that the standard
X-Fonts are bitmap-fonts which are designed for a fixed resolution, which is
different from Debian's default resolution. I don't know if this is going to
be fixed or worked around in any way but the fact is that it looks absolutely
ugly. And while you can easily adjust KDE fonts (and gtk via
gtk-theme-switch/2 - but not many people know that), you still have the
problem that fonts in apps like OpenOffice, Audacity (partly) or even Mozilla
look like crap and can't be adjusted that easily. "Linux fonts look ugly" is
a common prejudice and I don't think Debian needs to support this by shipping
with an ugly default configuration. Setting the X-Res to 75dpi is the wrong
fix but it's the best one that I'm aware of at the moment (from a users
view). Fixing the root of the problem would be, of course, the better way.

 ~sth

PS: Nevertheless, getting KDE 3.3 into Sarge should have top priority.