[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

5 second pause in Konqueror

I've recently started having a very strange problem with Konqueror - 
has anyone else ever experienced this:

Switching the focus between the location bar and the content part, or
between any text fields in a form on a web page, always includes a 5
second delay.  I've not timed this accurately, but it is always about 5

This does not happen straight away, but only after Konqueror has been
open a while.  I don't know yet what 'a while' is, I think in the region
of hours, and I think I have to be actively using Konqueror.

This started happening suddenly, not related to any upgrade.  I then
upgraded to Konqueror 3.3 to get rid of it, to no avail (previously I
was using 3.2.2).  I had frist tried emptying the caches, history etc
trying to get rid of it, nothing has worked.

The first time it happened, I managed to fix it by deleting 
.font.cache-XXX files that had built up.  However that no longer fixes
it.  Killing konqueror and restarting doesn't fix it either - I have to
log out of KDE and back in again to fix it, and then it comes back again
after a while.

The only clue I have is looking at the strace.  I've done strace on
Konqueror for about 10 seconds, during which I moved the focus from the
content pane to the location bar, both when konqueror wasn't showing the
bug, and then when it was.  I've haven't looked closely, but in the
latter case I get 101 repetitions of the following line, not present at
all in the first case:

select(0, NULL, NULL, NULL, {0, 50000}) = 0 (Timeout)

According to the man page, this should do a pause of 5 seconds (but I
only get 1 5 second pause, not 101 !).  Presumably that must correspond
to a line of KDE code somewhere - downloading the source for KDE is a
bit much for my dialup connection, otherwise I'd have a look.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this, or how to fix it?
It must be something in the state of my machine, as it wasn't happening
before, but I can't really throw away my entire KDE folder, for example
- I kind of need it!  I've tried removing the caches in /var/tmp,
pointed to from ~/.kde/ , and don't know what else to try.

I realise this should be a bug report, either Debian or KDE, but I'm
certain to just get WORKSFORME, which wastes everyone's time, unless I
can come up with a specific cause.

I've not yet tested with a new, test user - I first need to find out how
long I'm going to have to wait to see the bug in action.



"Humiliation: The harder you try, the dumber you look." (despair.com)

Luke Plant || L.Plant.98 (at) cantab.net || http://lukeplant.me.uk

Reply to: