Re: Where's the searchbar?

On Friday 27 August 2004 06:51 am, Adeodato Simó wrote:

> > I can't find it though in my KDE 3.3 installation (Debian unstable). Is
> > it hidden somewhere or is it just not in Debian, yet?
>
>   I *imagine* it'll come with the konq-plugins package, which still is at
>   version 3.2.3. But I'm not 100% sure.

I did an install about a month ago, maybe two, on my boss's daughter's
computer.  (Switching her away from XP so I could wash my hands of having to
go over and format/reinstall that POS every couple of months after she
virused it up.)

On that particular day, there were broken packages all over the place in
Sarge, so I added Sid to sources.list.  That proved insufficient, so I added
experimental too.  What a huge mess, pulling in packages from all three like
that.

With all that background out of the way, the moral of the story is that I saw
that bar thing in question, and I wondered WTF that was, and where it came
from.  From experimental, I would guess in retrospect.  (Unless I'm thinking
about the brief time in which I had Mandrake on that box.  Did the bar thing
come from Mandrake?  I can't say with absolute certainty.)

(To my utter amazement, nothing has gone wrong with that box.  She's using it
every day, and getting along great, and I haven't even bothered to go over
there and update it to clean up that mess I made.  It's the most god-awful
hodgepodge of stuff from three different distros, and it's been working
flawlessly in the hands of a complete Linux newbie who had never known
anything in her whole life but Windows.  She hasn't even asked me any
questions yet, except what to do when one of her disks needed fscking after a
bad shutdown.  Tell me again that Linux is impossibly hard for people who
didn't grow up around a command line?)

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/