Re: Screwed up toolbars and menus

On Saturday 07 of August 2004 04:56, Matej Cepl wrote:
> And ALL (without an exception) help items in Help menus (if they are
> present at all, which is not the case many times -- e.g., in kmail the
> menu Help has only one item "Introduction to KMail" but it is there
> twice) lead  to the same message in KDE Help Center "The requested help
> file could not  be found. Check that you have installed the
> documentation." Of course, the  documentation is installed (but reading
> docbook files in less is not much pleasant experience -- I would hope for
> better :-), but there does not seem to be a way how to persuade KDE to
> display it better.

Do you remember this ancient post of mine? I have in meantime upgraded to
KDE 3.2.2 (from download.kde.org on Debian/woody) just to find out, that
it is still alive and kicking -- no Helps for me. Then again from pure
feeling of dispair (you couldn't imagine how difficult it is to live
without help documents when you've got used to them) I googled again for
the answer and found this page --
http://www.webservertalk.com/archive235-2004-5-232451.html. Then I tried to
make a symlink from all subdirectories in /usr/share/doc/kde/HTML
(fortunately, I have just two of them there) to /usr/share/doc/HTML and
suddenly MY HELP IS BACK!!! Thanks God!

However, nasty questions still remain:

a) How is it possible that apparently no other user of Debian/woody
   KDE 3.2.[12] happen to stumble upon this already?
b) I have in my /etc/kde3/system.kdeglobals (see attached)
   dir_html=/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML
   Why KDE ignores it?
c) I compiled a program from source (krusader, if anybody is interested,
   Debian/woody KDE 3.2.2 package is available at
   http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/progs/debian/) and that one as the only one
   KDE application does not have Help (trying "help:krusader" in Command
   Prompt, because its menus are screwed us menus of all other KDE
   applications; but that's another story).

Thanks in advance for any reply,

	Matej

--
Matej Cepl, http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej

I am a Roman Catholic, so that I do not expect `history' to be
anything but a `long defeat' -- though it contains (and in
a legend may contain more clearly and movingly) some samples or
glimpses of final victory.
      -- J.R.R. Tolkien

[Directories]
dir_config=/etc/kde3
dir_tmp=/tmp
dir_socket=/tmp
dir_exe=/usr/bin
dir_lib=/usr/lib
dir_cgi=/usr/lib/cgi-bin
dir_module=/usr/lib/kde3
dir_apps=/usr/share/applnk
dir_data=/usr/share/apps
dir_html=/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML
dir_icon=/usr/share/icons
dir_locale=/usr/share/locale
dir_mime=/usr/share/mimelnk
dir_services=/usr/share/services
dir_servicetypes=/usr/share/servicetypes
dir_sound=/usr/share/sounds
dir_templates=/usr/share/templates
dir_wallpaper=/usr/share/wallpapers
[General]