Broken screensavers

Since around KDE 3.2.2, all of my screensavers have not worked. I've gone back
through the archives and noticed a number of posts about screensavers but
none of the solutions worked on my system.

I can't even get the screensavers to show up in the control centre, even
though I have the latest versions of the following packages installed:
* kscreensaver
* xscreensaver
* xscreensaver-nognome
* xscreensaver-gl

The executables are on the system since I can run them in a window but for
some reason they're not showing up in the config box.