Lower volume with KDE 3.3

I upgraded to KDE 3.3 from unstable.  I have a few minor issues, like some
occasional freezing and sometimes KDM won't let me type in a password
requiring me to switch to a command prompt to login.

The one problem that exists all of the time is that the volume is very low.
The volume settings in the mixers are all maxed out and sound plays fine,
except at very low volume.  I booted into WinXP and a SUSE install with KDE
3.2 and the volume was fine, so it's not a speaker problem.  Anyone else
have this problem?  It's an NFORCE2 mobo with integrated sound.  It uses the
i810 module, which is loaded and like I said the sound is great, except very
low volume.