virtual desktops

I'm running kde-2.2.2, installed for me by a friend. I used to have 4 virtual desktops, but somewhere down the line I did something and now I only have one. So I go to KDE menus, Preferences, Look & Feel, Virtual Desktops, and change it to 4. Sadly, next time I log in, I'm back to 1. I can also set it via the KDE menus Control Centre, but that setting is also lost when I log out. I have spent some time looking through the archives, but have not found out how to save the settings.

Can anyone tell me how to set it permanently?
Thanks
Rob Clack