No Backend To KDE Print???

When I try to add a printer to KDE, there is nothing I can select on the
screen "Backend Selection".  As a minimum, I need to print PDF documents and
can then mail them to my wife's computer (Windows with a laser printer).

Why would _nothing_ be available as a backend?  Am I missing something?

I am running Debian unstable and aptitude upgrade nightly.

Thanks for any help, Bob
--
> You know you are "there" when you are known by your first name, and
> are recognized.
> Lemmie see, there is Madonna, and Linus, and ..... help me out here!

Bill ? ;-)
	-- From some postings on comp.os.linux.misc