Monospaced font isn't recognized by Konsole

I just installed Debian sarge on a new PC, my first-ever desktop Linux
system (though I've been using Debian on some servers for some time.)
I mostly have it set up the way I want, but there's one thing missing:
my favorite monospaced font, Sheldon Narrow, which is the most legible
small font I've ever found.

Unfortunately it's only available for download in TrueType. But following
one of the many tutorials on the net for installing TT fonts under X, I
converted the .fon file to BDF, then to gzipped PCF, and put the file in
my ~/.fonts directory. That didn't work, so I copied it to
/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc and ran mkfontdir. No luck. I ran fc-cache and
dfontmgr, supplying the latter with a bunch of different combinations of
hints, still nothing.

I can use the font in xterm, so I know that (a) X can render it, and (b)
I'm not *too* clueless. I'd really rather use Konsole if I can, but at
this point I'm stumped. The system provides basically zero feedback about
why a given font does or doesn't appear in KDE's font list, and all the
documentation I've found on font installation is pretty skimpy on
troubleshooting tips, to put it mildly.

If someone would be willing to have a look at it and tell me what magic
step I'm missing to make it available in Konsole, the font is available
for download from http://www.tobias-jung.de/seekingprofont/ -- it's the
first link in the "Download files" section. (There is a PCF download link
on that page too. But it's for the ProFont font, not the Sheldon Narrow
font I'm interested in.)

Thanks!

-Steve