Re: Problem with KDE-Menus on Debian Woody with KDE 3.2.2

* Am Di, 13 Jul 2004 schrieb Nick Boyce:
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 08:13:41 +0200, Christoph Maurer wrote:
>
> >I have installed the Kde 3.2.2 packages for Debian Woody available
> >for a few days now.
> >The install worked fine and KDE seems to work much better than with
> >the 3.2.1 packages. But there is one annoying problem: In  a few
> >programs, e.g. in konqueror, the menu bar is a litte bit confused.
> >This means that some menu entries like Bookmarks appear twice,
> >others do not appear at all.
>
> See the thread in August,2003 beginning with this question :
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2003/08/msg00104.html
>
> And especially these two replies :
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2003/08/msg00110.html
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2003/08/msg00111.html
>
> The relevant bit :
>
> > > You are probably missing /etc/kde3/ui/ui_standards.rc. If that is the
> > > case, try purging kdelibs-data and reinstalling it.
> [...]
> > > .. just install same kdelibs-data again with --force-confmiss.  No need
> > > to do a purge before:
> > >
> > >   dpkg -i --force-confmiss/var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs-data_.....deb
> [...]
> > Perfect!  I did just the 'dpkg -i --force-confmiss...' and it solved
> > everything.
>
> Maybe that's your problem too - let us know ?

Indeed, the problem was, KDE not finding ui_standards.rc. But
/etc/kde3/ui/ui_standards.rc was in place. Finally, an strace showed
me, that KDE programs only search in $HOME/.kde/share/config/ui for
that file, but not in the system-wide directories. So, as an
intermediate solution, I copied ui_standards.rc to my personal KDE
tree. Does anyone know how KDE determines the directories to search
for this file. Does it depend on environment variables?

Best regards,

Christoph