Re: revising the first cd contents...

Am Donnerstag, 1. Juli 2004 20:05 schrieb Frans Pop:
> On Thursday 01 July 2004 13:58, Denis wrote:
> > folks this way of voting itsn't effective, you're not the only one who
> > would use Debian and the thing you write mentioning your favourite
> > application don't make sense e.g. because me or someone else simply not
> > use them. I guess data from the popularity-contest should be used for
> > such purposes or some kind of poll should be held somwhere to determine
> > what application would be best to appear on the CD. am I wrong? :-\
>
> popularity-contest won't work in this case as it counts packages that are
> _installed_. In this case we want to have packages _used_ most often and
> "generally considered to make up a useful KDE system".

You might want to read "man popularity-contest".

> I would also like to include some basic general purpose apps:
> - kpaint
Does this really use someone? I'd rather vote for gimp.

> - kview
Yes, no fun without it.

> - kghostview or kpdf
Not really "needed". ghostscript can show both format and is probably on the
first CD, xpdf maybe too.

> - kontact
Hmm, not really needed. Actually, I thought it would be better than what it is
now.

> - kmix
> - kscd
You actually do not have a multimedia desktop without those two :)

> - kcalc
> - kgpg
How often do you really use those?

> And maybe:
> - knode
YES!

> - kopete or ksirc
Definitely :) Kopete can do more than ksirc

> - kpackage
> - kget
wget and dpkg are probably good enough.

Maybe one goal is to have enough to communicate with others for help if there
are problems (konqueror, kmail, knode, kopete with irc module) and having
basic multimedia stuff (kmix, artsd, kscd).
For other things, konsole tools are often even better (wget).
kgpg, kontact, etc. are not really basic to a desktop.

(everything just IMHO)

HS

        oder über pgp.net