Re: No sound after upgrade to unstable/KDE3.2.2

On Wed, 26 May 2004 13:33:56 +0200, Jacek <jzb@op.pl> wrote:
> I tried them all : oss,alsa and auto  no results.
> I returned again to having sound from console, and while playing mp3
> with mpg123  I started kde. During initialisation process the sound
> broke down . Forever. :-(

Are you sure that KDE (especially kmix) isn't remuting the mixer on start?
While mpg123 is playing something artsd won't be able to take over the
DSP-Device but to adjust the mixer settings. Open kmix again and
recheck the settings.

> Is there any possibility to log and view the initialisation process of
> kde ?  Something like dmesg  for kde ?

If there's something wrong with your alsa modules dmesg or
/var/log/messages could be a good starting point as well.

What does mpg123 say when you start it _after_ kde is loaded? Is it
simply freezing doing nothing?

Try (as root):
# lsof /dev/snd/*
or
# lsof /dev/sound/*

to see what programs are accessing the sound devices.

I'm running a FM801 card by myself never seeing any such problems.

Bjoern