Re: KDE 3.2.2 for Woody... Careful upgrading..

>> Just because the userbase tends to use apt-get quite a bit, doesn't mean
>> it's intelligent enough to do everything, nor has it ever been.  I
>> remember seeing notes from the apt-get developers warning against its
>> use as a generic tool long ago.
>>
>> The warnings about how it does its package dependencies have simply
>> slipped out of the general consciousness over the past few years.  I
>> still have days running testing on one of the machines here where it
>> refuses to upgrade something, fire up dselect and it figures out the
>> dependency problem perfectly and finishes off where apt-get gave up.
>>
>> Nate Duehr, nate@natetech.com
>
> What would help a lot if someone with extensive experience of dselect
> would
> write a how-to for even recent converts to Debian to be able to figure out
> how to use it.  The popularity of apt-get is its apparent simplicity but
> its
> documentation is lacking in explaining its limitations.

I think, the big problem with this upgrade is that it differs too much
from the other kde versions for woody.

Is it really necessary to upgrade to xfree 4.3.0?
The 3.2.0 kde packages dealt well with 4.1.0 and also got along with
libqt3-mt and the 3.2.2 packages now come with libqt3c102-mt.

I think these packages were build on a sid or sarge system and not on a
woody system, is that possible?

       ingo