KDE3.2.1 "use system bell" option doesn't work

I've just upgraded my system from Woody + KDE 3.1.4 to Sid + KDE 3.2.1.
Now, the Kcontrol "System bell" option "Use system bell instead of
system notification" has no effect.  Since I have my sound card playing
through the hifi, I have always used that option to prevent the PC from
interrupting whatever was playing on the stereo.

Now, in 3.2.1, I can't stop this happening, the option has no effect and
all sound effects play on the sound card.  I have restarted KDE (though
you didn't need to in previous releases, anyway).  Even a control-G
echoed to a terminal causes a sound card beep instead of the PC speaker.
Normal PC beeps do happen if I cause them at a text console.  I know
that I could go into the "system notifications" and turn them all off,
but I shouldn't have to - and if I do, I don't get the bell feedback
from my keyboard (for file expansion and such).

Anyone else come across this ?

Nick