Re: 3.1 to 3.2 observations

jedd  writes:

>  Hi Dominique, Thanks for taking the time to reply to my rather
>  lengthy ramble.

No problem, thanks for rambling :)

>  > 2.  kdm (and configuration files associated with same) still ]
>  > continue to assume everyone has 6 consoles and that X starts on ]
>  > vt7.  Something for debconf perhaps.  (F5's always seemed a far ]
>  > more sensible place.)
>  ]
>  ] /etc/kde3/kdm/Xservers is a config file, you can edit it.

>  Oh, sure, and the deb package asks if I want to keep it or not, but
>  it's probably more a wishlist thing for the Debian package to
>  separate out user-configurable stuff (vt for X, kdm wallpaper etc).

Basically, everything in there is configurable, I'd guess.  Doing it
via debconf is a no-no anyway, because debconf is not intended for
stuff that can have a reasonable default.

>  ] Don't upgrade kde while you have a kde session open.

>  Of course!  But when I came back into KDE (after the upgrade was
>  done) there were a few konq's I had left on my desktop that loaded
>  up again and showed the html source.  Reload gave the same results,
>  which was pretty weird, given that copying the uri's into new konq
>  instances gave the right results.

Oh, I see.  I haven't seen this happen, but it's very possible that
something goes wrong wiht loading a session that was saved by an older
konqueror version.

>  <taskbar changed from two rows to three> ] Is this a problem ?
>  AFAIK, it decides how many apps to show in there ] based on the
>  size of the panel you set.

>  It is a problem because it's an unexpected change -- I didn't
>  change the size of my panel -- it's the same size it was before the
>  upgrade.  And therefore a default's been changed by someone who
>  liked this look better.  But that's a generic take on the problem.
>  Specifically yes, it's ugly, it's hard to peck and find the
>  application I want to find now, and it looks really cluttered.  A
>  bug already exists on this one (77407).

ack

>  ] I don't know about this.  Again, if you think this is a bug, you
>  can ] file a bug report about this at bugs.kde.org.

>  I'm still getting the hang of kontact and searching the net about
>  this one -- the way that kontact embeds the 'ToDo List' is a little
>  odd (much is replicated from Calendar).  I've filed a few things
>  this evening that are definitely bugs, and am holding off on other
>  things until I work out whether they really are (or whether I'm
>  really dumb :).  And yes, I'm usually pretty careful about whether
>  I file them at bugs.kde or bugs.debian.

>  I'll have more accurate insights once I upgrade the next couple of
>  machines.  ;)

Great, work like this is very helpful, thanks.

cheers
domi