Re: Appropriateness of autologin (was Re: [FAQ] Passwordless logins don't work in KDM 3.2)

On Wednesday 10 March 2004 18:39, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
>  >>>Should passwordless logins even be allowed?
>  >>
>  >>It's the admin who decides about them, so I don't see a problem.
>  >
>  > An analogy:
>  > Should a Windows Admin be able to decide whether programs should
>  > be able to run within MS Outlook?  Sure it's conventient, but it's
>  > a *huge* security hole.
>
> If I have a Linux desktop machine at home, and I give the kids an
> account and one for myself, I want (and need) a password on my account,
> I don't have any security purpose to putting passwords on their account.
>   In fact, allowing them a password at all is just giving them a false
> sense of security :-)

In fact that was similar to what I was trying to do until I gave up because it
was not working.

I have a private computer that is mine, with a passworded account.  But
occassionally our family computer breaks and the family want to to use mine.
I have created an account "guest" and would like to be able to tell them to
use that (passwordlessly) - particularly when I am away on business.

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk