Re: KDM hang after login

On Monday 08 March 2004 06:21 pm, Ricardo Galli wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 March 2004 02:06, Jonathan Byrne shaped the electrons to
>
> shout:
> > Over the weekend I upgraded my desktop system to KDE 3.2.1 (from 3.1.5)
> >  and did the same on my Thinkpad this morning.  Everything seems to be
> > working fine except for one puzzling problem.  After logging in via
> > kdm, it gets as far as the default KDE background and then just stops,
> > with nothing on-screen except the background.  It does it on both
> > machines, so I guess it can be called duplicatable.
> >
> > My temporary workaround is to use gdm and select a KDE session, which
> > works without a hitch.
> >
> > The kdm version is 3.2.1-1, on Sid.
> >
> > Has anyone else seen/solved this problem?
>
> Yes, but it was solved by selecting kde session in the kdm menu. And the
> waiting few minutes because it was recreating fonts due to a X's
> misconfiguration: add -dpi 100 (or whatever was before)
> to /etc/kde3/kdm/Xservers
>

> --
>   ricardo galli       GPG id C8114D34
>   http://mnm.uib.es/~gallir/
>   Recursivo. (del lat. recursus), adj. Condici�e recursivo.

Slow fonts I've seen many times.  It happens when I upgrade XFree86 (which
happened recently with the update to 4.3, or when updating any font related
packages such as fontconfig or freetype.  What happens is the font cache is a
binary file dependent on the executable code of font related stuff, and gets
out of date when executables get changed.

It's easy to fix.  Get a root shell prompt and type "fc-cache -f -v" to
rebuild the font cache.

Doug