kde 3.2 upgrade problem

This morning I performed a dist-upgrade going from 3.1.4 to 3.2, (in sid).  I
then noticed kde did not start from kdm but rather dumped me into twm.  This
I now know is simply due to kdm not defaulting to kde startup.  Later while
exploring 3.2 I attempted to delete a set of icons in kcontrol and
immediately lost all icons on the desktop, applications, and panel.  I tried
a number of things including removing kde and reinstalling but to no avail.
I did not purge the kde installation as I did not want to lose bookmarks,
filter rules etc.

Any thoughts on how to get my icons back would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
in advance.

Paul Winkler