Re: x-session-manager

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 02:24:29PM +0100, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> On Friday 20 February 2004 13.26, Martin Orr wrote:
> > Why do none of the KDE packages (either 3.1 or 3.2) provide alternatives
> > for x-window-manager or x-session-manager?  The woody version of kdebase
> > provides x-session-manager.
> >
> > This means that I have to have a .xsession script containing "exec
> > startkde" otherwise I get a terminal when I log in to kdm - I have no other
> > window or session managers installed.
>
> avbidder@papillon:~$ update-alternatives --display x-session-manager
> x-session-manager - status is manual.
>  link currently points to /usr/bin/kde3
> /usr/bin/startkde - priority 40
> Current `best' version is /usr/bin/startkde.
> avbidder@papillon:~$ dpkg -S /usr/bin/startkde
> ksmserver: /usr/bin/startkde
> avbidder@papillon:~$ update-alternatives --display x-window-manager
> No alternatives for x-window-manager.
> avbidder@papillon:~$ apt-cache policy kwin
> kwin:
>   Installed: 4:3.2.0-0pre1v1
>   Candidate: 4:3.2.0-0pre1v1
>   Version Table:
>  *** 4:3.2.0-0pre1v1 0
>         500 http://people.debian.org ./ Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>      4:3.1.5-2 0
>         600 http://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch unstable/main Packages
>      4:3.1.3-1 0
>         700 http://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch testing/main Packages
> avbidder@papillon:~$ apt-cache policy ksmserver
> ksmserver:
>   Installed: 4:3.2.0-0pre1v1
>   Candidate: 4:3.2.0-0pre1v1
>   Version Table:
>  *** 4:3.2.0-0pre1v1 0
>         500 http://people.debian.org ./ Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>      4:3.1.5-2 0
>         600 http://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch unstable/main Packages
>      4:3.1.3-1 0
>         700 http://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch testing/main Packages
> avbidder@papillon:~$
>
> I don't remember why x-session-manager is status manual, could be that I
> tweaked this at some time in the past.

Thanks for the quick response.  It was evidently a case of me not thinking
sufficiently, for some reason my link was set to manual and pointing at
/usr/bin/kde3 too.  /usr/bin/kde3 is not contained in the 3.2 packages
(hence when I upgraded it pointed nowhere and I thought something was wrong
with the KDE package).

Well in this case, why does ksmserver not provide the x-session-manager
virtual package?

Thanks,

--
Martin Orr