Re: WP8 for Linux is toast in KDE 3.2

> KDE 3.2 depends on xlibs 4.3.x, which conflicts with xlib6, which is
> required for WP8 for Linux to run.  Therefore, WP8 is toast.

Following a suggestion from Hendrik Sattler, I unpacked the xlib6
package into its own directory:

$ dpkg -x /var/cache/apt/archives/xlib6_3.3.6-44_i386.deb /opt/xlib6

and tried to start WP using those versions of the X libraries:

$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/xlib6/usr/i486-linuxlibc1/lib /opt/wp8/wpbin/xwp

When I do this WP starts, and I see the initial splash screen.  Then it
segfaults.  By comprarison,

$ /opt/wp8/wpbin/xwp
/opt/wp8/wpbin/xwp: can't load library 'libXt.so.6'

So it seems that using the old libraries almost works, except that it
doesn't.  My guess is that the old xlib6 libraries are just incompatible
with xlibs 4.3, in which case there's really no way to run WP8 in KDE
3.2.

So my options for reading and writing WP documents in Linux are
dwindling.  I can run WP2K for Linux, or set up a virtual Windows
machine just to run WP.  I'll also look into AbiWord, although I need to
be able to write WP documents, not just read them.

Any other solutions, please let me know.
Andrew.

--
To reply by email, replace "deadspam.com" by "alumni.utexas.net"