kmidi problem?

Hi folks,
I am led to beleive this might be the place to discuss problems with kmidi?

For the most part kmidi works pretty well for me, but for some midi files the
volume levels seem to fluctuate unnaturally. I am not sure if this is a
processor speed issue, but kmidi uses about 99% of cpu time and it is
otherwise a pretty light load.

Recently I found a really bad offender:
http://tatooine.fortunecity.com/andersen/233/eurythmics/why.mid
where sound drops out altogeather.

I was hoping that someone could maybe test it
to let me know if its just my kmidi settings are FAQed up
somehow, or if its a common problem.

kmidi -v
Qt: 3.2.3
KDE: 3.1.5
KMidi: 1.3alpha

Its running on a sony vaio 1.6Ghz Pentium M series laptop with i810_audio and
aRTS with custom 48000Hz sampling rate.
Also I am using the goemon patch set documented here:
http://docs.kde.org/en/3.1/kdemultimedia/kmidi/patches.html

I guess underneath it is running:
TiMidity++ version 2.11.3 (C) 1999-2002 Masanao Izumo <mo@goice.co.jp>

I really don't know so much about midi files or timidity or kmidi,
but I hope someone can put me on the right track.
thanks
Doug