KDE crashes on startup

Hi. I've been having a few problems with getting debian woody working, it must be about 2 weeks now since I first installed it. Thanks to google and guys over at the debian-user list I've gotten X at least starting now (with the vesa drivers, it still won't start with the nvidia ones)

The computer still isn't working correctly, when I log in KDE crashes just after it gets to the initalising peripherals stage. I can start sawfish and gnome and ok so I think this is a problem with KDE.

I'm not sure what details to post here. When X wasn't working I'd put my XFree86.log online, but I don't know what the KDE equivalent is. This seems like a KDE bug, but I don't think I have enough information to make a bug report.

Hardware: Gigabyte GA-7VAX mobo (uses via KT400), GeForce Ti 4200 video card, Hauppauge wintv, AthlonXP, Logitech MX700 usb mouse, SoundBlaster live! soundcard

Regards,
--
Jim