K3b settings cdrdao change won't stick

Dear friends:

[Using Xandros 2/Debian]

I recently reinstalled my Xandros 2. In my earlier installation, I
succeeded in pressing ENTER and saving the new settings in K3b
(Settings, bottom box), where I UNchecked "cdrecord" and "cdread",
leaving only "cdrdao" checked. This time, though, I have encountered the
strange situation where K3b informs me that I have succeeded in making
the changes in Setup but, in fact, when I close K3b and restart it, all
options are still checked. I've done this several times, each time with
the same results. Please see screenshot at:

http://www.websher.net/k3b1.png

Any suggestions? Could it harm my system if I did NOT succeed in making
these changes stick?

Thank you in advance.

Benjamin
--