Re: Packagers: What should we recommend about KDE 2 -> 3 upgrades?

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 11:37:30PM -0500, Matej Cepl wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 of January 2004 19:35, Ross Boylan wrote:
> > I would like to raise an issue for the Debian KDE package
> maintainers:
> > will someone who has been running woody KDE 2.2 run into
> troubles if
> > they upgrade to 3.x?  And if so, what should we do about this?
>
> Probably, the safest way is to remove (not purge!) whole KDE from
> the computer and the install KDE 3.* again. I did this with
> transfer from KDE which is part of woody to 3.1.4 and I do not
> see any substantial problems with that.
>
> Matej

It's reassuring to hear a positive report.  However, note that even a
purge will not touch users' ~/.kde directories, which are the most
likely source of problems.

I may have overstated the KDE FAQ's support for the claim that the
upgrade should go OK.  It includes (item 4.16) the statement "There
were mixed reports of results between some previous versions of KDE,"
which isn't quite a glowing endorsement of the upgrade process.