Re: Why Are Some Fonts So Bad ?

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 12:47:50 +0100, Dominique Devriese wrote:

>Nick Boyce writes:
>
>> I'm running KDE 3.1.4 with XFree86 4.1.0-16 on Woody, with
>> anti-aliasing switched on, and although the desktop mostly looks
>> pretty slick, there are still some *really* bad font renditions in
>> some parts of some windows.
>
>If anyone knows of a way to fix this in the Debian KDE packages, I'd
>be very interested to hear it.  Also, does anyone have any idea how to
>fix the font problems in konsole ( most of the fonts look ugly, the
>"linux" and "unicode" fonts don't work, selecting a custom font brings
>up very few fonts to choose from etc. ), please share it.

Hmm .. my Konsole fonts look fine (really nice in fact) - I only use
the "Linux" font though.

One weird thing is that if I start a Konsole "Linux console" session,
then I always get this error :
  Font '-misc-console-medium-r-normal--16-160-72-72-c-160-iso10646-1'
  not found.

  Check README.linux.console for help
(this README file doesn't exist on my system).

I just avoid this problem by always using a Konsole "Shell" session
type instead (which doesn't produce the error).

I don't have the xfonts-konsole package installed, so maybe that's the
cause of this error.

Cheers,
Nick Boyce
Bristol, UK
--
" ...screams erupted at a Seattle hotel where Microsoft founder Bill Gates
was addressing an education and technology conference. (...)"