Re: kdeartwork kdeartwork-theme-desktop kdebase kdeprint kept back

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 02:19:00AM +0100, Nick Boyce wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 15:47:09 +0300, Mihalis I. Tsoukalos wrote:
>
> >why do I get the following message:
> >
> >racoon:~# apt-get upgrade
> >Reading Package Lists... Done
> >Building Dependency Tree... Done
> >The following packages have been kept back
> >  kdeartwork kdeartwork-theme-desktop kdebase kdeprint
> >0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4  not
> >upgraded.
>
> It depends what exactly you were trying to achieve.  If you were
> simply updating your system with slightly modified versions (say
> security updates) of packages which are already on your system, then
> yes, you're right, they should have been updated by the above command.
>
> However, if you're trying to install a major upgrade (say from one
> release of KDE to another), then for reasons I don't fully understand
> the standard advice is that you must run
>    apt-get dist-upgrade
> rather than
>    apt-get upgrade
> As an example, IIUC "upgrade" will never *remove* an existing package
> from your system if it conflicts with one of the new packages to be
> installed - however "dist-upgrade" *will* do that, and will do
> anything else necessary to ensure the upgrade you requested does
> actually happen.
>
> What I don't understand is why anyone ever does simple "upgrade" when
> it seems that "dist-upgrade" is cleverer and more useful.
>
> If what I've just said doesn't help, then give us more information on
> what kind of update/upgrade you're actually trying to do (and tell us
> which Debian release you're using).

Still no luck I think.

home:~# apt-get upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages have been kept back
  kdeartwork-theme-desktop kdebase kdeprint
  0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3  not
  upgraded.
home:~# apt-get dist-upgrade
  Reading Package Lists... Done
  Building Dependency Tree... Done
  Calculating Upgrade... Done
    efax kdeartwork-theme-icon kdewallpapers
    3 packages upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not
    upgraded.
    Need to get 9121kB of archives. After unpacking 365kB will be used.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y

What else can I do?

have a nice day,
Mihalis.

--
 08:42:54 up 29 days, 18:26,  2 users,  load average: 0.10, 0.09, 0.03