Re: Is KDE 3.2 Any Faster ?

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 17:41:38 +0100, Børre Gaup wrote:

>Tuesday, December 16. b. 2003 02:56, Nick Boyce don ?állet:
>> An article over at OS News suggests we can expect significant speed
>> improvements in KDE 3.2 :
>>    http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=5410

>I have changed between KDE 3.1.4 and KDE 3.2 on my Debian Sid machine a few
>times. 3.2 loads noticably faster than 3.1.4. I have an AMD XP 1700+ and 256
>Mb RAM. As for apps, I haven't noticed any difference, they load fast enough
>for me.

Hmm .. thanks for the comments.

FWIW, on my machine, it takes :
 *  75 seconds to login from the KDM prompt to a fully
    initialised desktop
 *  15 seconds for Kword to load with an empty document
 *  18 seconds for the Kword handbook to launch from the
    Kword Help menu

I *do* have the /tmp/.ICEthingy magic enabled by means of a home-grown
script in /etc/init.d.
BTW: anyone know whether this magic is going to be built in to Debian
KDE by default in future releases ?

Cheers,

Nick Boyce
Bristol, UK