Re: kdelibs compile crashes - dependency on Xinerama_pic

----- Original Message -----
From: Robert <robertsohn@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 23:47:00 -0500
To: debian-kde@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: kdelibs compile crashes - dependency on Xinerama_pic

> On Wednesday December 10 2003 8:51 am, John Bro wrote:

> > I have managed to "downgrade" my xlibs, xlibs-dev, xlibs-pic
> > to a non-Knoppix experimental version, fix a few problems
> > left concerning links to libXrender(.la .so etc)
> > and have compiled my kdelibs successfully - v. 4.3.0-pre1v4.

> I'm not sure exactly what you did,

Let me clarify,
I installed the pre1v4 version of xlibs
(by saying -t experimental)
while my kdelibs is 4.3.1 and apart from the
continuing crashes of some KDE apps, the system
seems happier -- fewer messages in .xsession-errors,
and the other main logs. But the libpthread-related
crashes continue.

> but as far as I know knoppix uses the
> old "0ds4" (or somesuch)  Xfree 4.3 debs - you should upgrade *all* of
> your XFree installation to the version in experimental - 4.3.0-0pre1v4
.
> Then try recompiling.

Yup. X is the 0ds4 version.

# apt-cache policy xserver-xfree86
xserver-xfree86:
  Installed: 4.3.0-0ds4
  Candidate: 4.3.0-0ds4
  Version Table:
     4.3.0-0pre1v4 0
          1 http://ftp.debian.org ../project/experimental/main Packages
 *** 4.3.0-0ds4 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

xserver-xfree86:
  Installed: 4.3.0-0ds4
  Candidate: 4.3.0-0ds4
  Version Table:
     4.3.0-0pre1v4 0
          1 http://ftp.debian.org ../project/experimental/main Packages
 *** 4.3.0-0ds4 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Is this xserver-xfree86 the package I would/might need to install?

> Then try recompiling.
 recompile kdelibs yet again?

I'm really very close to abandoning all hope,
and doing a complete reinstall of vanilla Debian.
but I *would* like to beat this libpthread thing
just for the experience ;-/

It's strange that everything seems to be quite
content on this system except those apps that crash
on libpthread.so:
  kfmclient every time it launches,
  the desktop control module when I try to use the browse function to pick a wallpaper,
  and certain functions of Konqueror -- I forget which now.
  and probably others that I haven't tried yet..

Once again, the consistent crash message is this
after compiling all the kdelibs:

[New Thread 16384 (LWP 28361)]
...0x41028bb8 in waitpid () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
#0  0x41028bb8 in waitpid () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
#1  0x406e8c10 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.4
#2  0x40647f1c in KCrash::defaultCrashHandler(int) ()
   from /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.4
#3  0x00000168 in ?? ()

Another thing that has me confused is that aptitude
reports it wants to upgrade a number of things (notably kdelibs4!) from the installed version to the SAME version
number.

That's kinda weird, isn't it? The status is 'iu'
(There are also a few other packages in that state that
do have newer version now.) I have mixed dpkg, apt, and aptitude, but installed nothing without one of them..

Remember, I'm new to debian, so be verbose if you can ;)

thanks,
j.
Check out the latest SMS services @ http://www.operamail.com, which allows you to send SMS through your mailbox.