Re: Where are default fonts specified?

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 11:57:27PM +0100, A.R. (Tom) Peters wrote:
> Does anyone know where in Debian default fonts for X are set?
>
> After a recent apt-get upgrade apparently some config file as changed, to
> the effect that an application that I use switched from a fixed width font
> (courier 10) to a proportional font (Helvetica 12 apparently).
>
> Setting the KDE fonts does not help: apparently that only applies to
> window widgets etc., not to the content of the windows.
>
> The program does not have a config file.  There is no reference for it in
> my .Xdefaults .  In fact, I have no idea which X object settings it would
> listen to: I tried entering plausible phrases into my .Xdefaults that
> would set the font type for this application, but apparently it does not
> use them.
>
> Any hints will be appreciated.

Fairly recently, as I recall, both XF86Config-4 and the files in
/etc/fonts have been fiddled with by upgrades for me.  If it's an old
app it probably doesn't use fontconfig (/etc/fonts/) (though it might
use its predecessor, configured in /etc/X11/XftConfig).  But I suggest
checking the font paths carefully in all those spots.

I've recently been investigating courier for a probably unrelated
problem (bug #191914), and I found Courier provided by Adobe and
Speedo fonts.  So anything that knocked those out, or put other stuff
ahead of them in the font list, might have caused the switch.