Re: Threading in KMail

On Wednesday 23 July 2003 09:44, Antiphon wrote:
> Is it just me or does the message threading in KMail in need of
> improvement? It regularly breaks up threads--even ones with the same
> subject line.

One thing is that kmail does not do threading by Subject (for which I am
grateful - half-broken threads with messages being attached to each other in
the wrong order is usually the result). The other thing is - and here kmail
definitely could use improvement - that kmail appears to ignore the
'References:' header and uses only the 'In-Reply-To:' header. I haven't
analyzed it in depth, but I think it also gets confused by the I-R-T headers
which also contain the email address of the submitter of the previous message
in angle brackets (I think elm produces these).

Then, of course, there's still loads of people with plain stupid mail clients
that don't generate I-R-T or References headers at all... (Notes, some
Microscrap software or other - Thread-Id, gah!)

Cheers
-- vbi (who is thinking about at least writing a fix-those-headers python
script)

--
random link of the day: http://fortytwo.ch/sienapei/ohdohghu