Re: true type fonts fixed...

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Ross Boylan wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 01:41:26AM -0600, Bruce Sass wrote:
> > scenario:
> > sid, kde-3.1.2, xserver-svga (v3.3.6), X-4.2.1, xfstt
>
> Huh?  Are you combining parts of X from 3.3 (xserver) and 4.2 (the
> rest)?  I'd be surprised if that worked out.

Why is that?  Would you be surprised if a v3 remote X-terminal could
connect to machine with XFree-4?

> XFree86 v 4 does not require any font servers, and I think it works
> with a different set of font servers than 3.3.  It handles TT builtin
> (provided you load the right module, freetype, in XF86Config-4).  I
> think there's another module that also can handle TT).

that's how I understand it also (at least for local sessions)

> Finally, KDE 3.1.2 (and probably earlier, but maybe not 2) has a
> control panel option for registering fonts, including specifically one
> for Type1 and one for TrueType.  You need to go into administrative
> mode to make this effective for all users (there is a button on the
> panel to do so--you don't need to login as root).  This seems to
> require that both directories be under the main font directory, which
> may require a symlink, esp for TrueType.

didn't work either ways (usr|admin share/fonts|X11R6...fonts...

> > - KDE knows about the fonts but they are not rendered
> How do you know it knows?

...on a per-user basis: fonts were copied into ~/.kde, had a green
checkmark, appeared in the font selector dialogs, but were always
rendered as helvetica

...in admin mode: .afm's were created (iirc) under X11R6 when the
fonts were in /usr/share/fonts (no surprise, eh)... green blah blah
helvetica

<...>
> Depending on where you got your TrueType fonts, you may have a huge
> number of them.  You might want to pare down the list (the one in
> fonts.dir, fonts.scale, and related files) so it only has your
> favorites.  That might speed things up.

just the ms core tt fonts

<...>
> > Hmmm, could having ttf available through both fontconfig (via
> > x-ttfcidfont-config) and xfs-ttf be a problem...

s/b xfs-xtt  :-/

> Well, I've been more thinking that not having fonts available through
> fontconfig is the problem.  Someone recommended to me to make sure the
> TT fonts were in fontconfig.

sounds reasonable
except the v3 xservers don't know about fontconfig (???)

I think there are too many cooks <shrug>,
and am not sure why KDE is doing low level mucking about with fonts
(especially at the system level).

Oh well, it's probably moot for me now.  I saved a P133 wth a 1G drive
(installed stable) from the landfill recently, and just today fixed it
up with 96M and the 30G drive (unstable) with my $HOME, it has an S3
Trio64V+ which is supported in Xfree-4.3...

- Bruce