kscd fails as normal user, works through kdesu -c

I can play cd's using kscd as root (by doing kdesu -c kscd).

When I use the icon on the K-menu, kscd appears in the taskbar, then
disappears quickly.  The window never appears.  When I try running it from
konsole, I get the following errors:

josh@Shuttle:~$ kscd
kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::plugAccel(): call to deprecated action.
[...]
josh@Shuttle:~$ CDTEXT INFO: use GET_FEATURE_LIST(0x46)...
CDTEXT INFO: try to read, how long CDTEXT is?
CDTEXT INFO: CDTEXT is a 7 byte(s) long
CDTEXT INFO: try to read CDTEXT
CDTEXT INFO: read 7 byte(s) of CDTEXT
CDTEXT INFO: free_cdtext_info() called
CDTEXT ERROR: invalid packet at 0x00000000: 0x 00 00 00 08 5F 00 55 00 53 00
08 08 11 00 00 00 D8 CF

At this point nothing else happens - there is no kscd window, no CD activity,
and no sound.  There is brief CD activity around the time of CDTEXT INFO: ...
Hitting Enter gets me a prompt back, but I must manually kill the kscd
process, even though it appears to be doing nothing.

I'm guessing it's a permissions problem, since it works kdesu root, but I
don't really know where to start.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh