KDE3.1.2/sid - missing mime types

In order to use KDE3.1.2 I upgraded from sarge to sid....but now KDE has become unusable. The KDM sign-in screen appears normally and allows log-in, but this is followed by a flurry of error messages: and eventually a blank screen rather than the desktop:

Error - KDesktop	Could not start process
			unable to create io-slave
			Klauncher said: unknown protocol "file"

Sorry - KDE Panel  could not find mime-type
			application/octet-stream
			inode/directory
			inode/directory-locked
			inode/blockdevice
			inode/chardevice
			inode/socket
			inode/fifo
			application/x-shellscript
			application/x-executable
			application/x-desktop

Clearing all these messages leaves a blank screen but at least the right mouse button does give access to the menu.

Looking at kdm.log gives these error messages:

kdecore (KIconLoader): ERROR: Error: standard icon theme "crystalsvg" not found
!
Conflict in /usr/lib/qt3/plugins/imageformats/libqjpeg-non-mt.so:
  Plugin uses single threaded Qt library!
Conflict in /usr/lib/qt3/plugins/imageformats/libqmng-non-mt.so:
  Plugin uses single threaded Qt library!
kdecore (KIconLoader): ERROR: Error: standard icon theme "crystalsvg" not found
!
kdecore (KIconLoader): ERROR: Error: standard icon theme "crystalsvg" not found
!
Conflict in /usr/lib/qt3/plugins/imageformats/libqjpeg-non-mt.so:
  Plugin uses single threaded Qt library!
Conflict in /usr/lib/qt3/plugins/imageformats/libqmng-non-mt.so:
  Plugin uses single threaded Qt library!
kdecore (KIconLoader): ERROR: Error: standard icon theme "crystalsvg" not found
!

According to dselect I have the latest versions of all the packages installed (kde-core with some additions).

X itself seems to be working if I don't try to use KDE - I am currently using Mozilla with Windowmaker.

It seems to me that some essential KDE configuration has got left out and I would be grateful for help in putting things back together.

Mark