umask in 022

Greetings,

I know that someone asked a very similar question recently but he
requested that responses be sent privately and none were posted to the
list.

For a while I have been using a umask of 007 as the default on my
system.  I set it in /etc/profile and /etc/login.defs.  This has been
working for me for a while and has made controlling permissions easier
for me.  Anyway, I'm not tryng to start a discussion about what the
best umask to use is.

I noticed today that when I am in konsole with kde running on my
laptop and I type umask it tells me that my umask is 022.  I can't
seem to do anything to change it.  It is still 007 outside of kde.

The question is how can I changed the umask system wide in kde?  Is
there a way that kde in debian could somehow honor the umask that is
set in login.defs or /etc/profile?  I would be all for it.

FYI.  I am on a debian system that I keep up-to-date with the testing
distribution.  I dip into unstable for KDE and a couple other things
so I have the 3.1.1 packages in unstable.  As far as I can tell the
problems started with the 3.1.1 packages but I can't be 100% sure.

Thanks for everything.
Carl Baldwin