debian/kde on a HP xe4100

Firstly, apologies to those whom i annoyed by mailing off topic here the other
day :)

Secondly, I've successfully gotten debian & kde up and going on my laptop.

However when i'm logged into kde, every now and again my keyboard and mouse
lock up and become completely unresponsive. This means I can't CTRL-ALT-F1
back to the command line either. If I have a remote connection though i can
ssh in still navigate the system. To unfreeze the keyboard tho requires a
reboot (killing X or KDE has no effect)

I don't think the kde itself is hanging, as the clock keeps goings, music
keeps playing etc... I haven't yet been able to figure if a particular event
is causing it and it seems pretty random with regards what I'm doing at the
time.

just wondering if anyone has had this trouble before

my keyboard is a 'pc105' uk layout keyboard
the mouse is a HP Omnibook track pad, using the "ImPS/2" Protocol
the xserver is XFree86 Version 4.1.0.1
kde is version 3.1.1a
and
my kernel version is 2.4.18-bf2.4

something else that might be relevant is that i have
PCMCIA Card Services 3.1.33 for my wireless card, but the freeze has occured
when i've been on and off the network

If anyone knows what could be up, i'd be most appreciative

--
Eoin Campbell