Re: KDE 3.1.1 Fast as root but slow as User

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 07:19:06AM +0200, Karolina Lindqvist wrote:
> onsdagen den 9 april 2003 01.18 skrev Daniel Stone:
> > I thought you'd know that saying how much memory kdeinit takes is
> > *utterly* *useless*. Obviously not.
>
> It is not useless, as it says how much RAM is taken by KDE + some of the
> applications. gmemusage just can't give a more find graded approach.
>
> Maybe there is a memory leak there somewhere, after all, since on a freshly
> started X-server + KDE, the memory usage is much more reasonable. Which on my
> system means 23MB for X, 23MB for kdeinit (KDE). With kmail 10MB, some other
> KDE applications 7MB, that means 63MB to run a basic X + KDE. And that
> includes even one instance konqueror.

Cached pixmaps and video memory are taken into account here. vmstat is
slightly more useful, but still, not very.

> That amount starts to grow after a while, and never goes down to that level
> again.
>
> Which is why I say that for practical purposes, it appears that 256MB is a
> reasonable amount of RAM, in my opinion. Unless you run just only kmail + one
> instance of konqueror and noth more. Then 128MB might be allright. Which does
> not mean that it does not work with less. But it can cause a lot of paging
> and swapping and thus gives a slow system, no matter how many MHz there is in
> the processor.

I used to run Konsole, Evolution, and a few instances of Konq, on the
PII 350 with 128mb of RAM. As well as the P166 with 96mb of RAM.
Granted, KDE certainly does take up a bit more RAM than I'd like, but
it's not as bad as you make out. 256mb of RAM is an irresponsible figure
to be bandying around.

> > I never had any problems with KDE 2.2 on a P166 with 64 (later 96) mb of
> > RAM, nor the PII 350 with 128mb of RAM.
>
> KDE 2.2 is a different animal altogether. On small machines that works much
> better. I even run single KDE 3.1 applications on my 100MHz pentium firewall
> machine.  (kmyfirewall, and sometimes konsole. Nothing else of KDE is
> installed on it. Something that can't be done with the official SID KDE)

If anything, I've found KDE 3.1 to be a huge speed improvement, for not
much RAM tradeoff.

--
Daniel Stone 	     <daniel@raging.dropbear.id.au>             <dstone@kde.org>
KDE: Konquering a desktop near you - http://www.kde.org