Re: KDE 3.1.1 Fast as root but slow as User

onsdagen den 9 april 2003 01.18 skrev Daniel Stone:

> I thought you'd know that saying how much memory kdeinit takes is
> *utterly* *useless*. Obviously not.

It is not useless, as it says how much RAM is taken by KDE + some of the
applications. gmemusage just can't give a more find graded approach.

Maybe there is a memory leak there somewhere, after all, since on a freshly
started X-server + KDE, the memory usage is much more reasonable. Which on my
system means 23MB for X, 23MB for kdeinit (KDE). With kmail 10MB, some other
KDE applications 7MB, that means 63MB to run a basic X + KDE. And that
includes even one instance konqueror.

That amount starts to grow after a while, and never goes down to that level
again.

Which is why I say that for practical purposes, it appears that 256MB is a
reasonable amount of RAM, in my opinion. Unless you run just only kmail + one
instance of konqueror and noth more. Then 128MB might be allright. Which does
not mean that it does not work with less. But it can cause a lot of paging
and swapping and thus gives a slow system, no matter how many MHz there is in
the processor.

> I never had any problems with KDE 2.2 on a P166 with 64 (later 96) mb of
> RAM, nor the PII 350 with 128mb of RAM.

KDE 2.2 is a different animal altogether. On small machines that works much
better. I even run single KDE 3.1 applications on my 100MHz pentium firewall
machine.  (kmyfirewall, and sometimes konsole. Nothing else of KDE is
installed on it. Something that can't be done with the official SID KDE)

Karolina