KDE 3.1.1: audio group, pam.d?

Hi,

I just upgraded from the stock kde (woody) to kde 3.1.1 from kde.org.
Things went pretty smoothly.  There's one hitch however.  Right now,
ordinary users aren't able to access /dev/dsp so they get no sound.

The "right" way to resolve this is using /etc/pam.d/kdm and
/etc/security/group.conf.

In /etc/pam.d/kdm I added the line:

 auth       optional     pam_group.so

in /etc/security/group.conf I added the line:

 kdm;*;*;Al0000-2400;audio

This setup actually works.  When a user logs in they are temporarily
added to the audio group and sound works.  My problem is with the second
field which represents the tty that the user is logged in under.  For
kdm from the console this is ":0".  If I use this for the tty field
instead of the wildcard "*", users don't get added to the audio group
and there's no sound.  I tried escaping the colon, e.g. \:0, but that
actually causes a complete failure to login using kdm.  I tried both
"*:0" and ":0*" Thinking there might be leading or trailing whitespace
in the tty name, neither worked.

I don't like using the wildcard because I don't want remote users
dumping sound to the audio device.

I wish I had looked at this stuff BEFORE I upgraded to 3.1.1 since the
2.2 audio was working and I assume it used the same method.

If someone is still running 2.2 or has this working in 3.1.1 could you
let me know how this stuff is accomplished?

Thanks,

Albert

--
Albert Schueller                                 Department of Mathematics
Office Phone:  509-527-5140                      Whitman College