Re: Problem with upgrading to KDE 3.1.1 on Debian woody

A Dimecres 02 Abril 2003 17:55, R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar va escriure:
Dear Chandra,

thank's for your long and complete mail.

> I am sorry you have experienced the same problem that I did.

Bad luck, it's the problem to try to install software.

> 1. When I lost KDE, I apt-get installed the Debian packages for GNOME
> and set it up as my default window manager in
> /etc/X11/default-display-manager.
> This restored X windows to my installation.

Ok, to have something to work. At last I have another machine in the
university, so I can have mail and net.

> 2. I felt I had nothing to lose and so I added a line in my
> /etc/apt/sources.list to include the unstable distribution as well.
> This may be quite dangerous: it may be better to add the testing
> distribution instead.

My problem is that I cannot do this because at home I only have a modem
conexion.... maybe I can create some cd.

> APT::Default-Release "stable";
Ok

> 4. I ran apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade.
> 5. I encountered trouble with the perl package: I cannot remember
> exactly which but there were conflicts because of dependencies of other
> packages on version perl_5.6 when version 5.8 had been installed in the
> upgrade.
> 6. This required a little bit of hand fixing by removing the offending
> packages and re-installing them if possible after my distribution did
> not give error or warning messages when I ran apt-get -f install.  Note
> that some original packages could not be re-installed because of the
> perl version change, but these packages were not very important to me.

Well, this evening I will try to reinstall all kde, so I will see if I see
some the problem.

> 7. One package I originally had from the unstable distribution was
> mozilla-browser_1.2.1-9: it was upgraded to mozilla-browser_1.3-3.  This
> was the only unstable package I remember I had when kdm_3.1.1-0woody1
> would not run.  [Ralf Nolden told me that one or more  packages from
> testing or unstable could be the cause.]  At present
> mozilla-browser_1.3-3 co-exists with KDE_3.1.1 on my system.

Why a mozilla package can make problems to kde? whick libraries use in
together? (system a part)

> 8. It may also be that some libraies were upgraded and the problem
> disappeared with that upgrade.  I am sorry that I cannot identify the
> offending libraries/packages with any precision.

I will try.

> 9. When the distribution had been upgraded and apt-get dist-upgrade gave
> null results, I followed the instructions to apt-get install kdebase and
> kdm.  I then tested kdm, and when it worked, resumed with the
> installation of the rest of KDE_3.1.1-0woody1.

So, finally you did a new installation of kde, not an upgrade?

> 10. The worst case scenario would have been a total re-installation of
> Debian woody.  To prepare for this, I used
>
> dpkg -l | grep ii > <file_name.txt>
>
> to retain a record of installed packages in case of a total re-install;
> thankfully, this did not occur.  [You could re-install by hand or write
> a perl script to semi-automate or fully automate the re-installation
> using this file.]  Maybe there is a better way to do this!

I didn't know it. Perfect.

> I am sorry not be more specific, but I can definitely say that you can
> recover and have a working KDE-3.1.1 as I have!
>
> Best of luck!

Thank's a lot Chandra, I will inform about the news.

Regards,

Leo