Re: Upgrading to KDE 3.1 in Sid

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 10:57:43AM +0300, Aryan Ameri scrawled:
> I am currently running Karolina's KDE 3.1 RC5 Packages for sid (compiled
> with gcc 2.95) on my system, which is a mixture of sarge/sid. After
> hearing so much, about the disadvantages of keeping a mix system, and
> now that KDE 3.1.1 is in sid, I decided to upgrade completely to sid.
> But apt-get dist-upgrade wants to remove 292 packages, including all
> KDE packages.
>
> Is there any way upgrade instead of remove/install? Because I really
> can't afford to lose all my KDE settings. Is there alteast, some way to
> save all these application settings (like Konqueror and KMail) and then
> restore them?

Unfortunately, as Karolina's packages are basically a fork, and she does
not believe in Conflicts/Replaces, there's no way we can provide a clean
upgrade path. Your best bet is to remove kdelibs4 and libarts1, as well
as the rest of the remenants of Karolina's packaging, and then run
apt-get install arts kdelibs kdebase kdenetwork kdeutils [...].

--
Daniel Stone                                     <dstone@trinity.unimelb.edu.au>
Developer, Trinity College, University of Melbourne