Re: Still with the QT problems ...

On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 19:15, David Bishop wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 February 2003 11:21 am, you wrote:
> > On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 17:21, David Bishop wrote:
> > > The only possible explanation is that your default compiler is different
> > > from what qt was compiled with.  This would happen if, for example, you
> > > are using some weird mixture of sid and karolina's packages.  To get rid
> > > of her packages, run this:
> > > dpkg -l | grep \+kl | sudo xargs dpkg --purge
> > >
> > > Then, after also making sure that you no longer have the wh9 line in your
> > > sources file, reinstall qt and kde.  Then, it will work.
> > >
> > > Finally, I guess, run g++ --version from the commandline to make sure
> > > that it returns 3.2.3.  If it doesn't, then you have to find out why.
> >
> > <GULP>
> > I have a nasty feeling you are right! Since it's my work machine, this
> > may have to wait. Wouldn't this sort itself out without the
> > re-installation of kde if I just comment out the Karolina line in the
> > sources.list? Surely after a while, each of the Karolina packages would
> > be upgraded and overwritten by the latest Sid stuff as it appears, thus
> > fixing the problem??
>
> Not until 3.1.1 appears, as Karolina made the decision to bump the epoch on
> the packages up, such that they will *not* be removed by sid's packages.
> This kept people from being down for three weeks, as the packages trickled
> in, but make upgrading very difficult.  I don't think it will take that long
> to upgrade, assuming a decent 'net connection and apt source (I can pull
> 500KBps+ from deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib
> non-free).  Maybe you should try it tonight after 5 :-)

OK, I decided to wait until 3.1.1 and I now have removed the conflict I
had with Karolina and Sid packages. All seems well now. I have installed
libqt3-dev (first time I have been able to install that in a LONG time)
and yipee!! The configure script gets past the Qt stage. However (and I
bet you knew this would come!), it only gets as far as "checking for
KDE" and stops as it can't find the header files. I'm pretty sure that
the kde headers were one of the packages removed during the 3.1.0 ->
3.1.1 upgrade. So, I try and apt-get install on kdebase-dev and I get:
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libqt3-dev

DOH! But, I notice it wants to install libqt3-mt-dev. Anyway, I go ahead
with this and sure enough, the configure script is back to failing at
QT. If I try and do an apt-get install of libqt3-dev again, then it
wants to remove kdebase-dev, libqt3-mt-dev and a few other things so it
looks like I just can't have both on at once.

Am I doing something wrong here? Or are there some dependency issues in
Sid that is causing this problem?

Any help would be appreciated!

Andy