upgrading from woody to ralf's kde 3.1

I have a relatively stock woody system with a few packages from testing
and unstable installed (mainly the libc and ogg vorbis 1.0 from testing
and xcdroast from unstable, installed from source) and of course a
custom 2.4.20 kernel. And I have installed everything and the kitchen
sink from all 7 woody CDs.
I did not uninstall anything before upgrading.

I have encountered the following problems upgrading from kde 2.2.2 in
woody to the kde 3.1 backport packages on ktown.kde.org/~nolden:

1.
The packages file was broken when I downloaded the debs (on Tuesday
iirc). I had to download some qt 3.1.2 packages manually. I hear this
has been fixed already.

2.
A package called kmtrace wants to own a file (I think it was
/usr/bin/match) which was also contained in a package called grunch.

3.
A package called kdesdk-scripts wants to own a file
(/usr/bin/fixincludes) which was also contained in a package called
fixincludes.

4.
I had various conflicts with the new kdevelop package and the old
kde-i18n-* packages.

5.
The libpsi-dev package conflicted with the kopete package (both new
packages).

6.
After the install kdm did not want to start. I did not purge the config
files of the old kde2. After a dpkg-reconfigure kdm it would start,
except that it only had default, failsafe and kde3 as session types.
I edited the other 15 window managers manually into the config file.

7. xine-ui depends on some newer libdirectfb-$something which
unfortunately conflicts with some older libdirectfb-$sthelse. So
installing xine-ui would have me remove clanlib. So no more xine.

I think that was all. I solved all of these by removing the old packages
and deselecting libpsi-dev. Otherwise, no problems (except for the fact
that artsd *still* sucks...).

I also installed Xfree86 4.2.1, Mozilla 1.2.1, OpenOffice.org 1.0.2
backports and various packages from marillat.free.fr during the rest of
the week and have not noticed any real problems so far.

Michael Stahl

PS:
the kgpg thingy kicks ass :)

- --
the Zeroth Law of Network Security:
If you want information to be secure, DON'T PUT IT ON THE FUCKING
NETWORK!