Re: Qt Changes ahead - Info for package maintainers + developers

Ralf Nolden <nolden@kde.org> writes:

> Ok, long time ago someone (probably Ivan) packaged Qt that it follows these
> rules:
> $QTDIR=/usr/share/qt
> Qt includes -> /usr/include/qt
> Qt libraries -> /usr/lib
> Now that Martin already moved the QTDIR to /usr/share/qt3 for his Qt3 package,
> and the problems to combine all 4 Qt versions (Qt3, Qt2, Qt3-embedded,
> Qt2-embedded) so that they work for developers in whichever way they want to
> use the and the recompile orgy and importing of Qt3/KDE3 apps into sid, I
> think this is the one time chance to finally fix those issues once and for
> all. Therefore, we intend to change the include path to the Qt 3 header files
> from /usr/include/qt to /usr/include/qt3.
> This is the best thing to do and the next step would be to rework on Qt 2 with
> Ivan to make it match the requirements for parallel installation for
> developers with the minimum of pain and no file conflicts.

So you actually intend to make the Qt2/3/etc. development packages
coexist?  Normally, different major versions of -dev packages conflict
with each other, particularly because the .so and .a files share the
same name.  How do you plan to work around this?

My secret to happiness... is that I have a heart of a 12-year-old boy.
It's over here in a jar.  Would you like to see it?