Experience with 3.05a -> 3.1 upgrade

Hi,

we've upgraded yesterday from 3.05a to 3.1  without any problem
(--purge remove'd kde qt arts stuff before the 3.1 install).

Here some problem when our users logged in again (FYI):

	o all fonts were in italic (very unreadable).  kontrolcenters font settings
	   listed a regular font but it was in italics.   ths affected all users that did
	  not customize their font settings before. Fix was that I've
	   had to add a set of fonts to /etc/kde3/system.kdeglobals. E.g.,

	[General]
	TerminalApplication=x-terminal-emulator
	StandardFont=Arial,12,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
	activeFont=Arial,12,-1,5,75,1,0,0,0,0
	background=220,220,220
	fixed=Courier New,11,-1,5,50,0,0,0,1,0
	font=Arial,12,-1,5,48,0,0,0,0,0
	foreground=0,0,0
	menuFont=Arial,12,-1,5,48,0,0,0,0,0
	selectBackground=10,95,137
	selectForeground=255,255,255
	taskbarFont=Arial,11,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
	toolBarFont=Arial,10,-1,5,48,0,0,0,0,0
	windowBackground=255,255,255
	windowForeground=0,0,0

	o kmail:  looks like some .*index* files were not properly upgraded
		Some folders contained lots of message with emtpy to From: Subject
		and body.   Exit kmail and delete the .*index* files below ~/Mail
		fixed it.   Again not everyone run into this problem.

	o Half dozen people found themself 'without' kicker and complained loudly.
	   Turned out the kicker was just '1' pixel high.  Resizing fixed it ;)  It's sitll
	   not clear what was problem.

	o Lots of people could not resist to mention that the brownish debian -whirl
	   background of the login screen needs an update. Looks too old fashioned.

	o While new icon theme default was crystal, the window decoration default
	   was not keramik but the 'old'  kde 3.0 one.  Would be nice if a postinstall
	   script would set the the new system wide default to keramik.

Achim
                                      -- reddy@lion.austin.ibm.com